The countdown till I arrive back in Knoxville has officially begun… a week from tomorrow I will be saying goodbye to the Big Apple and landing in good ole Rocky Top. Part of me is so ready to be home, see my friends and family and get back to college life, but the other part of me is not ready to leave this amazing city.
For my final two weeks here I have been cramming everything I can into my schedule. My fellow Tennessean Julie and I kept putting sightseeing off, so needless to say we had a lot left to do.
This past weekend was chalked full of NYC “must-sees.” Friday night I went to dinner with Julie and another one of my roommates Hannah. We went to my, at the time, favorite Italian restaurants. The food was delicious! Then we came back and watched a movie in the apartment.
On Saturday we all slept in. After we got up and got ready, Julie and I headed to Central Park. We started off at Central Park West and Strawberry Fields. We visited the building where John Lennon and Yoko Ono lived and where the famous Beatle was shot and killed. His wife, Yoko, still lives in the top floor apartment facing the Park.
We also took pics at the famous Strawberry Fields site.
We explored almost the entire park, seeing The Boathouse and the famous “mini boat” races. We literally walked ten miles that day…. my legs never hurt so bad.
After Central Park we headed back to the apartment. I had to get ready quick because I was meeting three of my sisters for dinner!! Shout out to Katherine Waxstein, Kristen Reindel and Lauren Mitchell!!!! We met for dinner at my now new favorite Italian restaurant. The owner flies to Italy, where he has a restaurant in Rome, and purchases all of his dishes’ ingredients and flies them first class back to New York. I had the freshest pasta and mozzarella, straight from Roma!! I literally cleaned my plate. I thought how could you top the main course? Well he did! The homemade mango and lemon sorbet was just phenomenal. I really hope to get the chance to eat there again before I leave.
Sunday was another long day of sightseeing. Julie and I woke up early and headed to Brooklyn to eat at the most famous pizzeria in the state and arguably the best pizza you’ve ever had. Grimaldi’s is the second oldest pizzeria in New York and people will wait for hours to eat at this place.
It didn’t open till noon, but we got there a little after eleven. Not surprising we were about the 10th group in line. When the restaurant opened we got right in! They really pack you in and you’re forced to make friends around you. You’re practically in everyone’s conversations… as you’re pretty much sitting on top of each other. I didn’t mind… I was just hungry. When the pizza came I just had to take a picture of it!
Julie and I literally devoured an entire pizza… leaving only the crust.
Now I have had some good pizza in my life, but I honestly hands down can say this was the best pizza I have ever had. I also hope I can go back one more time before I leave.
After a great lunch, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. You can see some of the prettiest views of Manhattan. The bridge itself is a sight to see. The architecture is incredible and makes you really appreciate the architecture.
On the other side of the bridge we ended up in a really pretty part of town, very close to the South Ferry. We walked yet another ten miles that day it seemed like. We then got to Battery Park and purchased our ticket for the Statue of Liberty. We had to run to the boat as we literally had 5 minutes to get through security and get on before it left. We barely made it. The ferry ride on Miss New York was awesome. We could see all of Manhattan and road all around the island where Lady Liberty stands.
You don’t realize how big and how green she really is till you get right underneath the statue. Of course Julie and I took a hundred pictures of Lady Liberty… you can never have too many.
We found out a neat fact about why the statue is green. She was originally copper… but when copper is exposed to air and water, it turns green…. hints the reason why she stands proud and… green, ha. We were able to make the ferry to Ellis Island and get there for the last visit of the day. It was an incredible feeling to walk through the museum and experience what happened on this island many years ago. It’s not like a typical museum because you are actually seeing the real deal. After a tour we got back on the ferry and headed back to NYC. By this point… after all we did that weekend… I could barely move. My legs were throbbing. So we headed back to the apartment and rested up for work the next day.
FOX has been great. I have basically done the same thing the past few weeks… lots of writing scripts. I am getting a lot of great experience writing and getting the opportunity to have producers critique my scripts and give me writing tips. I am going to be so far ahead in my classes this fall!! Haha My coworker, Whitney and I, finally had our article we worked on published on the Fox News Channel University website, which is attached to the Fox News website!! Here is the link if you wanna take a look… it’s the first article titled “Ordinary girls doing extraordinary things.”
This weekend I plan to do my favorite things one more time and fit any last minute sightseeing in. This will be my last weekend in the city. I get back next Friday, the 5th. I will hopefully write one more blog before heading home.
Till next time, XOXO
Kristyn
No comments:
Post a Comment