Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Back Where I Come From… I’m An Old Tennessean


As most of you know, I got the chance to fly home to Knoxville this past weekend. It was definitely a last minute trip. My mom called me on Tuesday, after a lot of discussion, and said she purchased my ticket home. I was shocked she did that without my knowledge, but really excited to head home for the weekend. It’s been really hard living in a huge city far away from my family and friends. But what I thought was going to be an easy trip home, turned out to be an adventure.

I packed my suitcase and took a taxi to work on Thursday. My flight was scheduled to leave at 3:00 and my car was picking me up at noon. I was just finishing up a script at around 11:00 when I got a phone call. I couldn’t answer at work, but saw they left a voicemail. I thought I better check it just in case. Glad I did… because it was an automated message from US Airways… my flight was canceled. I was outraged!! You let me know an hour before I leave that my flight… a plane carrying 200 people… was canceled? So I started freaking out and called the airline. The first lady I spoke to was less than helpful. She didn’t seem in the mood to help me at all. She proceeded to tell me all flights were booked. I said, “Out of 10 something airlines and 3 of the largest airports in the world, you mean there is not one seat that can get me home tonight?!” She said no. Well I didn’t believe her. So I called back about 10 minutes later and talked to a man who was beyond helpful. He found me a flight in 2 minutes that would get me home earlier than my previous flight and was a direct flight, first class. I was ecstatic.

Thinking my day was going to get better, it actually got worse. Next I had to call and cancel my car service. Needless to say they weren’t too thrilled I canceled 20 minutes before I was supposed to be picked up. So they told me they would no longer serve me for my rudeness. I was even more outraged! Yes, it’s my entire fault my flight was canceled, so yes I am the rude one. So naturally I started freaking out again. I finally got a flight but with no way to the airport. Luckily one of the producers I work with showed me how to navigate New Jersey transit. So after taking a cab to Penn Station, the cab driver arguing with me about where to drop me off, me purchasing a ticket for a train that left in 2 minutes, running down 3 flights of stairs in 4 inch wedges, throwing my suitcase down the stairs and breaking the side of it and barely making it onto the train before the door closed, I was on my way. I really need a reality show… I swear some moments in my life are worth taping.

The train didn’t take long at all. I was at the airport in less than 20 minutes. So at this point I was 3 hours early for my flight. Well things just get even better. The airport was super crowded since it was a holiday weekend, so I had to sit between a man who I swear was dead (he literally never moved the three hours I sat there) and a lady who yakked on her phone the entire time. Oh and there was a lovely baby across from me who just loved to scream. So as you can imagine at this point I was done, over the entire thing. I was not someone you wanted to mess with haha

Well just when I was about to board the plane, the flight was delayed… an hour. I couldn’t believe my luck. Not to mention when I did get on the plane, I found first class to be the front row with little legroom and by myself. Yes, let’s put the person who is scared of flying by herself in the front of the plane… just great.

Well I finally made it home and had a wonderful weekend with my family and friends.  I got to eat at my favorite restaurant, eat some good home cooked meals and catch up on some much needed sleep. I also got to see a few of my close friends while I was there. I really needed this trip, to carry me through this last month in the city. As much as I love New York, there’s nothing like being home with my family and friends.

I did make it back in time for the 4th of July in New York… so glad that I did. Since I took Friday off I had to work on the holiday. I was literally the only person on the subway that morning. But I did get a free lunch and got off a little early. I then met up with my coworker Whitney and my roommate Julie. We headed down to the Hudson to watch Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Show. Let me tell you, this was the best fireworks show I’ve ever seen. They had barges all down the Hudson, so just a row of fireworks going off. The coolest thing I’ve ever seen. 


 After the 25 minute show, the three of us headed to Serendipity for dessert. This is a very well known restaurant and I am sure most of you know the movie made after it. I had frozen hot chocolate… words cant even describe how good that was. 


 It was definitely a 4th of July to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment