So the past few days have definitely been busy. I have been here for a week now and there has yet to be any down time. But hey, I’m not complaining, I have had a blast!
So let’s begin with this past Friday. I finished my first week at Fox and kicked off the weekend with one of my roommates Lauren. We decided to walk around and explore the village… see what it’s like on a Friday night. And boy does this place come alive on the weekends. During the week there aren’t as many people out and about, but on the weekends you can barely walk without getting kicked off the sidewalk. I have made a lot of observations in one week, and one that I have made quickly is that people don’t move out of the way for no one and no one ever stops walking. Even at crosswalks, people are so impatient. No one waits for the crossing sign and even though taxis are flying towards them, people continue to cross the street. I’ve had several close calls with crosswalks so far, but I am learning.
Saturday, my friend Julie arrived from Knoxville! She wasn’t here an hour before we decided what we were doing that night. The Atlanta Braves were in town playing the New York Mets. So naturally, we went to the game. It was quite a journey to get there. It took an hour and a half to get there by walking and train (that’s what New Yorkers call the Subway). We finally made it to Citi Field. It was our lucky day because starting that day, students got a discount. So we got tickets for $10. However, with that low price, come very high seats. We were about 10 rows from the top, ha, but right behind home plate. At this point our luck ran out because the Braves lost 5-0. I am now 0-3 when it comes to Braves games. Not sure if I’ll ever get to go to a game where they win. However, this was more for the experience, rather than the win. Now that we have experienced a Mets game, we have to experience a Yankees game. Julie and I are planning on getting tickets for the Yankees vs. Red Sox game. Huge rivalry, so tickets will be hard to find, but we are definitely going to try!
Sunday was a slow day. We all slept in, and another roommate arrived, Hannah. She is awesome! She loves our southern accents and loves anything southern. It’s been fun sharing the south with her. She is from Connecticut. After she got settled in, Julie and I went to eat at the most amazing Mexican restaurant in the Village, Caliente Cab Company. We then met up with the Ireland girls, and ventured down to Soho. Soho is basically any girls dream. Any and every store you could wish for line the several mile long stretch. I wish I had an endless supply of money, because I could have bought everything in sight. It was so hard to keep my wallet closed, well partially closed. I got a few things :).
Since the weekend, all I have done is work. Right now it’s really easy and slow. However, next week I get paired with a producer and get to write and produce my own stories! For the remainder of this week we get to attend our first seminar with Roger Ailes. He is the CEO of Fox!!!!!!! I cannot wait! We also get to attend a meeting for Fox News University, which is an online website for interns to produce their own news stories. What an awesome opportunity! We get to take cameras out into the city and interview people, write a story, produce it, and then put it online! So many steps, but it is all worth it.
So I am sure you all are wondering what celebs I have seen so far. The first day in New York I ran into Joakim Noah; he plays for the Chicago Bulls and played for the Florida Gators (eww!). At Fox, I have seen Neil Cavuto, all of the anchors on Fox & Friends, Geraldo Rivera, Jenna Lee, and many more! I have yet to see Shepard Smith, Bill O’Reilly or Glenn Beck. Fingers crossed I’ll see them soon!!! There have also been super famous people in the building… just today Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian were on Fox and Friends. Although I have a pass for the building, I couldn't get anywhere near them :(. But I was still in the same building as them!!
In my first week at Fox, I have learned just how amazing this opportunity is. Working at a major network is completely different then working at a local TV station. If something happens around the world, FOX will be one of the first to know. I have gotten to see movie trailers before they even hit theaters, news stories before the entire world sees, and heard about things happening in the coming months that many of y’all have no idea about. I know it has only been a week, but I know this is the right place for me! What I have wanted to do after graduation has always been up in the air, but I can definitely see myself in the news/broadcast industry! It’s a fast paced and exciting world, there is never a dull moment. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to do this and although I am giving up a lot to be here, I know this will be worth everything in the end.
Miss you all!!
Kristyn
No comments:
Post a Comment