Thursday, June 9, 2011

No longer a tourist, I’m a New Yorker now!

 So I have been wondering when that moment would come, when I finally didn’t feel like a tourist anymore and felt like I actually lived in the city. I never thought it would happen so soon, but that moment came today! I was walking through the Village on my way home from work, when a lady stopped me and asked for help. She was trying to find Bleecker Street. To my surprise, I knew exactly where it was and gave her the correct directions. At that very moment in time, I realized… I am officially a New Yorker!! No longer will I be “that girl” walking around with a map and trying to blend in.

Today has just been a great day all together. Not only did I become a city girl, I also had a big day at work. Today we had our first seminar for the summer and our keynote speaker was Roger Ailes. He is the founder and CEO of Fox News!! It was truly an exciting experience to hear him speak. Mr. Ailes has been in the news/broadcast business for many, many years, so you can only imagine the advice and knowledge he shared with us. Another lucky moment came when some seats opened up in the front row, right in front of the podium. My co-interns and I jumped at the chance, and sat less than a foot away from Mr. Ailes. He was not only very informative, but the man was hilarious. Unfortunately we weren’t allowed to have our cameras out or I’d have a picture to share. Even so, just seeing Roger Ailes and hearing him speak was a huge treat!

Tomorrow will be my last day working with the production assistants. Next week I am going to shadow the health producer. I will get to follow them throughout the week as they pitch news story ideas, write and produce packages, and meet with other producers/reporters in that department. Not only will I be working with the health producer, I am also working on my very own news package!! Another one of the interns, Whitney, and I are working on a story to be featured on the Fox News Collegiate Website. We’ve thrown around some ideas and are in the first stage of getting them approved by the editors. Once we get the go ahead, we will then write, shoot, produce and edit a news package. Although I didn’t have much experience with this before arriving at Fox, the team at FNCU is helping/teaching us every step of the way. I have learned more here in a week than I have learned in three years of college. Now that is kind of sad, ha. However, that just proves how beneficial Fox News’ internship program really is. Instead of running errands, making coffee, making copies, etc., Fox really wants their interns to learn and experience things we would never learn in class.

2 comments:

  1. Was this the post from quoting the Journal about apple pesticides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you referring to my other post? and yes, the story was about apple pesticides, but I didn't quote anyone.

    ReplyDelete